This is a recipe that I have made before but it had been a while. I think I saw it in a Woman’s Day Magazine last summer. This is a great recipe to help you eat your veggies!
Veggie Stuffed Shells
- 1 box (12 oz) jumbo pasta shells
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1⁄2 bunch broccoli, coarsley chopped (2 1⁄2 cups)
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 box (10 oz) frozen leaf spinach, thawed and coarsely cut
- 1 cup ricotta
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1⁄2 cups pasta sauce (more if you like a lot of sauce)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mozzarella
1.Pre-heat oven to 400ºF. Cook pasta in large pot of boiling water according to package directions, drain, and cool.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté broccoli, carrots, onions and garlic for about 6 minutes or until just tender. Add spinach and 1⁄2 cup water; cover and cook 2 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
3. Remove cover; cook until liquid is mostly evaporated. Stir in Ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Spread pasta sauce on bottom of 13 x 9-in. baking dish.
4. Spoon 1 tablespoon of filling into each shell; arrange in baking dish. Sprinkle with mozzarella, cover tightly with foil, and bake 35 minutes until hot and bubbly.
And now for dessert…
Homemade Thin Mints
- 1 pkg. Baker’s Semi-Sweet Chocolate ( I used 3 handfuls of chocolate chips)
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract (A little goes a looooong way)
- 1 sleeve Ritz crackers
Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave (I just did it in a pot). Stir in the peppermint extract. Dip in the crackers and coat on both sides. Place on a cookie sheet covered with waxed paper and place in the fridge to set the chocolate.
This was an awesome recipe because we can’t buy Girl Scout cookies here!