I have made a lot of cakes the past few months. My kids have birthdays that are pretty close. When we have a party I usually like to make 2 different cakes with 2 different frosting. One cake is something the kids want me to decorate for them and the other is the opposite flavor so all my guests will be happy.
My daughter really wanted purple cupcakes. You can’t really tell by the picture but they were a nice lavender color. I really did not want to make white buttercream frosting because it is so sweet. So I came across this really old recipe that was perfect. It is the perfect icing recipe to make when you don’t have any powdered sugar. Plus it only uses 1 cup of granulated sugar so it is not overly sweet. You will not believe how wonderful this is!
Fluffy Vanilla Icing
- 1 cup milk
- 5 Tablespoons of flour (yeah you think I am crazy
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup of butter, softened (2 sticks)
- 1 cup of sugar (granulated sugar)
- In a small saucepan whisk together the flour and milk. Heat over medium hear and constantly stir. It will start to thicken – so much you that you almost can’t stir it.
- Remove it from the heat and add the vanilla. Let it cool completely before you mix it with the butter and sugar mixture.
- You will want a standing mixer for the next part….In a bowl beat the butter and sugar until the sugar dissolves. Now I will say that I have done this for about 8 minutes and the sugar doesn’t seem to dissolve. But don’t worry – it will dissolve a little but after you frost the cup cakes.
- The mixture may start to look white and fluffy. If the sugar still hasn’t dissolved, and if the milk and flour mixture is cool, add it to the butter and sugar mixture. Beat it for a few more minutes and it should start to look fluffy – almost like cool whip. Taste it and you will be amazed! ( I have heard that the mixture may separate and this is normal – just keep beating
This is so fluffy and delicious – you will not believe how good it is!