In January everyone wants to eat healthier and lose weight. My biggest problem has been sugar and carbs. Once I cut back on those types of foods, I lose weight. But I still love pizza! It’s so good but it is loaded with carbohydrates. When I had a desire for pizza I looked in my refrigerator and saw sauce, cheese, pepperoni and zucchini! Yes – the zucchini is the base for the pizza and it adds a nice flavor to the pizza. My kids were even excited to try them!
Zucchini Pizza (Makes about 20 pizza bites)
- 1 Large Zucchini
- 1/2 cup of sauce
- 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese (or more)
- coconut oil
- pepperoni, optional
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or foil. (This will make clean up so much easier!) Pre-Heat the oven broiler on high and move the rack so it is at least 15 inches from the broiler.
- Cut the zucchini into thin pieces – but not too thin. You can cut them about 1/4 inch thick. If you are using pepperoni cut them into four pieces.
- In a large skillet heat about 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. Cook zucchini over medium heat. Flip after about 3 minutes until they are soft – not mushy. Do this in 2 batches.
- Once they are cooked add them to the cookie sheet. Top with a little sauce, a pinch of cheese and pepperoni.
- Place them in the broiler for 2 minutes – but keep an eye on them. We like the cheese to get a little brown so we broiled them for 3 minutes. They cook quick!
We have so many more healthy recipes to share with you this month! Even if your resolution isn’t to lose weight this New Year – you can at least have some new, delicious recipes to share with your family.