I hate to spend the money on packets of seasonings when I know I probably have the spices in my house to make the seasoning. Plus if I make it – it is a lot cheaper and healthier! I already have a DIY taco seasoning we use. Plus I have a great recipe for Sloppy Joes with ingredients you probably already have in your house!
DIY Chili Seasoning
- 3 tablespoons of chili powder (4 if you want it to be spicier)
- 1 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 teaspoons black pepper
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Optional – 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In an container with a lid, combine all the spices
- Put on lid and shake until all the ingredients are mixed together.
- Store at room temperature. This can be stored for several months.
When using it for Chili, you can use about a heaping Tablespoon per pound of ground beef. Also add about ½ cup of water per pound of meat.
Follow your favorite chili recipe. I will share my favorite recipe soon!