I can’t remember who gave me this recipe but it is a favorite in our family. I love that I can throw it in the crock pot in the morning if I have a busy day or I can cook it in a little bit of time for dinner.
- 4 cups of chicken broth (I use 1 TBSP bouillon and 4 cups of water)
- 2 cups milk
- 2 10 oz bags of frozen broccoli florets (This is a little flexible depending on how much broccoli you want)
- 1/2 medium diced white onion
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups of cheese – I used a Mexican blend
Crock pot instructions:
- Dice up the onion into really small pieces. They need to be small so they get soft while cooking.
- Put the onions in your crock pot, and pour the milk, broth, nutmeg, salt, pepper, and broccoli on top of it.
- Cook on low for 7-9 hours, or on high for 4-6. Its done when the onions are soft. About 20 minutes before serving, add the cheese. The cheese will be stringy and clumpy and will probably stick to the broccoli. It’s really good 🙂
Do the same as above except you can simmer it on a low boil for about an hour. When the onions are no longer crunchy it’s done!
I have also not used the nutmeg and its still really good. I do love the nutmeg – it gives it a great flavor!