Family Friendly Chili
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 large bell pepper, diced (I like red peppers)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 1 (28 oz.) can of tomato sauce
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can of crushed tomatoes
- ⅓ cup chili powder
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- Optional – your favorite bean (I use red pinto beans)
- sour cream
- In a large pot, brown the ground beef. Drain some of the grease.
- Add onion, bell pepper, garlic and sauté for a few minutes, until the onions begin to look clear.
- Add salt, pepper, water, tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, chili powder, cayenne, cumin and beans and bring it to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer for at lease 20 minutes. Or you could put it in your crock pot on low and let it simmer while you are away.
- Server with your favorite toppings and enjoy! This recipe makes enough for at least 8 servings.
Click here for the printable version.
Tip to make it as a crock pot freezer meal – you can prepare this through step 2. Let it cool completely and then add to a large freezer bag. You can even write on the bag to add the tomatoes and beans on the day you prepare it. Sometimes I do when I don’t have those ingredients in my house but I want to make some freezer meals.
Now that the weather is getting cooler (except in Florida) pick up the ingredients above so you can make this filling and easy meal!
What’s your favorite winter meal?