My kids love to eat granola bars – but I don’t like the ingredients that are listed on the boxes of many pre-packaged granola bars. So I have been playing around with some ingredients to come up with a flavorful and healthier granola bar for my family.
The great thing about this recipe is that you can change out the ingredients. We really like the combination if chocolate an peanut butter – so this is a hit in our house. I am sure you have most of the ingredients in your house.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Granola Bars
Makes 20 bars
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- ½ cup crunchy peanut butter
- ⅓ cup honey
- 1 egg
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 3-½ cups old-fashioned oats
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350*. Lightly grease a 9×13 pan.
- In a large bowl combine coconut oil*, peanut butter, honey, egg, brown sugar, vanilla, and salt. Once that is combined add the oats until they are coated with the mixture. Add the chocolate chips.
- Spread in an even layer in the 9×13 pan. Bake for 13-16 minutes. You want it to be firm but not too crunchy (unless you like crunchy granola bars).
Tips – If your coconut oil is solid just add it to the bowl and stick it in the microwave for a few seconds. I do this first so I don’t have to get another bowl dirty.
This would be really good with minuture chocolate chips – but I usually don’t have those in the house.
What other ingredients would you add to your granola bars?