Are you looking for a yummy pie to serve on Easter? I love anything lemon – so we really love this pie. My kids love Amelia Bedelia books and since she is always making Lemon Meringue Pie – my kids wanted to know what that was. So we made this pie and they really liked it. It is not a super easy pie, but it is not every involved. I think you will be happy with it.
You can either make your own pie crust or just buy it from the store.
Lemon Meringue Pie
- 1 cup flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter (real butter – nothing fake!)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons water
- 1 1/3 cups Sugar
- 1/3 cup Cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tarter
- 1/2 cup sugar
Crust Instructions – Pre-heat oven to 450°F.
- Combine flour and salt in a food processor until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Slowly add in enough cold water until flour is moist. It will become a ball.
- Roll out ball of dough on lightly floured surface into 12-inch circle.The easiest way to add it to the pie pan is to fold into quarters. Add the dough to a 9-inch pie pan. Slowly unfold it pressing firmly against bottom and sides.
- Trim the crust so nothing hangs over the edge. Poke the bottom and sides of crust with fork.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool and set aside.
- For the Filling – Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
- Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in small saucepan. Slowly stir in water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 7-9 minutes or until mixture comes to a full boil. Boil 1 minute.
- Gradually stir 1/2 cup sugar mixture into beaten egg yolks with whisk. Gradually stir egg mixture into remaining hot mixture. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, 2-3 minutes or until mixture reaches 160°F and is thickened.
- Whisk in lemon juice, 3 tablespoons butter and lemon zest. Remove from heat; set aside.
- For the Meringue – Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in bowl at low speed until foamy. Then beat at high speed, slowly adding sugar, 3- 4 minutes or until stiff peaks form and mixture is glossy.
- Pour hot filling into baked pie shell. Spread meringue over hot filling, sealing to edge of crust. Use a spoon to make small peaks.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until meringue reaches 160°F and is lightly browned.
- Cool at room temperature 1-2 hours. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
The first time you make it – it may seem like a lot of work, but it really isn’t. Your family will love this pie!