I have the best cookbook to share with you! Even if you are an average baker – you can make an outstanding cake with the help of Cake My Day and many delicious candies from Sweetworks! I had a sneak peek of the book and there are amazing recipes that everyone can make. You can pre-order the book now.
It is so easy to make a vibrant and colorful cake when you use candy from Sweetworks candy. Cake My Day utilized Sweetworks candy throughout the book.
I have never made a cake that was so pretty. My kids were in awe of how awesome it looked. I even had the help of a 4 years old. My older boys wanted to help but it was done before they realized what we were doing.
Basic White Cake Recipe
- 2 ¼ cups flour
- 1 cup milk, room temperature
- 6 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cups sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 ½ sticks), softened
- Powdered Sugar for dusting
- Pre- heat oven to 350* degrees. Spray two 9-inch round cake pans with nonstick cooking spray and dust with powdered sugar.
- In a medium sized bowl, add milk, egg whites, and extracts and whisk until blended.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix at a slow speed. (A kitchen Aid mixer works very well!)
- Add the butter and continue beating at a low speed increasing to medium speed until mixture resembles moist crumbs.
- Add all but ⅔ cup of milk mixture to crumbs and beat at medium speed for 1 ½ minutes.
- Then add the remaining ⅔ cup of milk mixture and beat 1 minute more.
- Divide batter evenly between two prepared cake pans. I like to tap the cake pans on the counter to even out the batter.
- Bake 22-24 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool completely before you add to a cake pan and decorate!
- 1 ⅓ cup shortening
- 2 pounds of powdered sugar
- 2-3 teaspoons vanilla
- 6-8 Tablespoons of milk
- In a large bowl, using a mixer, combine the shortening, powdered sugar, and vanilla and mix on low until the powdered sugar is mixed well.
- Add in the milk. First add about 6 Tablespoons then add more until you have the desired consistency. Mix on medium until everything is combined.
Take about 1 cup of the frosting and slowing add in water until the icing is thin but not runny. Add a thin layer to the cake and let dry completely before you frost it.
Tip – Place the cake in the freezer before you do the crumb coat and after the crumb coat.
Have fun and create any design on your cake with all the beautiful colored candies from Sweetworks. I drew out a draft of what I wanted to create on a piece of paper. Once I got started I changed it around a little. With Sixlets from Sweetworks it is so easy to make many bright and beautiful creations! If you order Cake My Day you will find many more inspirational ideas!
I had an adorable and very fashionable little girl that helped me decorate my cake.