I saw this recipe on Pinterest a few weeks ago at Whits a Muse Bouche to make the perfect steak. So I finally found a steak that I wanted to cook with this recipe.
Of course I didnt have all the ingredients in the original recipe so I improvised. I also didn’t have a cast iron pan so here’s how I made it and it was DELICIOUS!! (Sorry the picture isn’t very clear.) I have made this several time now that I have a cast iron skillet and it is still very delicious! I am sure it would also be divine on a grill!
The Perfect Steak (You can double the recipe for more steaks.)
- 1 pound – NY Strip Steak about 1 inch thick
- 3/4 teaspoons salt (I used salt from my grinder)
- 3/4 teaspoons – freshly cracked pepper
- 4 TBSP butter – divided
- 1 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley (I put it in my palms and crushed it.)
- About 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 TBSP oil
- Combine 2 tablespoons of butter, salt, pepper, garlic, parsley, and lemon zest and put it in the fridge.
- Sprinkle both sides of the steak with salt and pepper.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. (Or fire up the grill!)
- In a cast iron pan melt butter and add oil. When it’s really hot add steak and sear on both sides for about 2-3 minutes. ( I used a stainless steel pan and it smoked like crazy. We had to have all the windows open. I don’t recommend it – but it worked.)
- Once it’s nice and brown on the outside transfer it to the oven. (I moved it to an 8X8 pan and placed it in the oven.)
- Cook for about 7-9 minutes depending on the thickness. During the last minute of baking you can put a pat of the butter you made on top.
- I shut off the oven and let it sit for about 2 more minutes.
This was an amazing steak. I am definitely going to buy a cast iron pan. I am not sure if that will help with the smoking or if I shouldn’t have the heat up so much in the pan.
Other thought – I like the butter spread but I think this would still taste awesome if just seared in the butter/oil mix and baked in the oven.