My family loves chicken parmesan, but it can be a little bit of a pain to make for dinner. It can take some time to pound out the chicken, bread it, fry it and then bake it. This recipe makes it a lot simpler and it tastes almost the same. My only thing is that it feels like less chicken – so there were hardly any leftovers. My 5 year old loved it so much he had 3 servings! It is definitely a kid friendly meal!
Serve it with a salad and Italian bread and you have an easy and delicious meal! I think I may even make some spaghetti with it next time.
Chicken Parmesan Casserole
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts – uncooked
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh basil, finely chopped
- 2 cups sauce
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- parmesan cheese, to taste
- 2 cups croutons, crushed (I measured before I crushed them.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cut up chicken pieces into bite sized pieces and place the chicken in the bottom of the pan.
- Sprinkle the minced garlic and basil over the chicken.
- Spread the sauce evenly across the top.
- Then add Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Top it off with the crushed croutons.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes – or until the chicken is cooked and the cheese is bubbly.
This would probably be a great casserole to prepare and freeze. We used garlic flavored croutons and I think it gave it a little more flavor.
I just love time saving casseroles!