I love meals that I can use twice. Remember the other day when I shared my recipe for Crock Pot Chicken Fajitas? Well, we always have a lot of leftover with this meal. We all love it and it’s so easy to make. With the leftover meat and veggies I made a yummy casserole that you can throw together in a few minutes!
Chicken Fajita Casserole
- 6-8 flour tortillas
- 2 cups leftover shredded chicken fajita (or more if you have it)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup milk, divided
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups Mexican blend cheese
- Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees and grease a 8×8 pan.
- In a small sauce pan melt butter. Whisk in flour. Then add 1/2 cup milk and chicken broth. Simmer over medium heat while whisking until it’s thick.
- Add sour cream and the other 1/2 cup of milk to the pan and remove from heat.
- Pour a little of the liquid mixture on the bottom of the pan.
- Cut the tortillas in half and cover the bottom of the pan. I cut off a small overlapping piece to cover the middle. Or you could cut up another tortilla to cover the hole in the middle.
- Then add 1/3 of the meat then 1/3 of the cream mixture, then some cheese.
- Repeat – tortillas, meat, cream mix, cheese for a total of 3 layers.
- Make sure you end with cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes. Remove the foil and broil for a few minutes until the cheese is bubbly and starts to brown.
Serve and enjoy!
My husband ate a late lunch and came home and tried this meal. He said, “I just can’t stop eating this stuff!” It’s just good!
Note – The mixture you make in the sauce pan is my substitute for cream of chicken soup. To save more time you can skip those ingredients and just use 1 can of cream of chicken soup.