Chicken Pot Pie – The Ultimate Comfort Food
Do you have that one recipe that is the definition of comfort food? For our family, it is my chicken pot pie. I found the recipe at least 15 years ago and when I first made it – I couldn’t believe how many steps it had. I promise after you make it the first time – it will be easy. Plus you will love it so much you will want to make it again and again.
It’s also my go-to meal when I want to share a meal with someone. Who doesn’t like chicken, potatoes, carrots, a flaky crust in a creamy sauce?! If you like other things in your pot pie – add it. This recipe is very forgiving and flexible!
Chicken Pot Pie
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 8 TBSP butter
- 6 TBSP flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/3 cup half & half
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 pounds of chicken breast cooked and diced
- 2 large carrots cooked and diced
- 2-3 potatoes diced and cooked.
- 2 pie crusts
- Preheat oven to 425 and grease 2 pie pans.
- In a large frying pan melt butter and add onion and celery. Cook until clear.
- Add flour stirring until mixture becomes thick.
- Add chicken broth and let it simmer for about 2 minutes.
- Add half & half and simmer for about 2 minutes.
- You can taste the mixture and decide if you need any salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken, carrots, and potatoes to the mixture in the frying pan. Stir gently until it is just combined.
- Split them between the 2 pie pans and cover with a pie crust. Bake for about 15-20 minutes until the crust is brown.
Alternative crust – If you don’t like pie crust you can also make a biscuit-like crust with 2 cups Bisquick,1 cup milk, 2 eggs. Pour over the chicken mixture and back for 20-30 minutes until the crust is golden brown. You could also cook this in 1 9×13 pan.
I have also substituted the following items in the recipe: rotisserie chicken meat instead of boiling the chicken breasts and shredding the meat. You can also use canned potatoes and carrots. I usually just peel and dice the potatoes and carrots and let them boil while I am making the white sauce for the chicken pot pie. Use half heavy whipping cream and half milk instead of half and half.