Part 4 – 1 Hour + 1 Mess = 5 Crock Pot Dinners

by Janell on January 4, 2013

Click here to Pin this recipe on Pinterest.

I finally finished part 4! It took me a lot longer than I wanted but so many recipes weren’t working. Then the holidays arrived and any meal planning went out the door. I actually have a chili recipe and a different beef stew recipe that were great, but I can’t find the recipe. There aren’t too many pictures because I lost them 🙂 Sorry!

n case you missed it check out Part 1Part 2Part 3,  Part 5Part 6 and and Part 7  of my 1 Hour + 1 Mess = Crock Pot recipes. There are now 35 recipes!

If you would like to know when more recipes will be available you can sign up for my email newsletter. You will get an email that you will need to confirm you want the subscription.

Shopping list (Click here for printable version)

• 1 ½ lb lean stew meat, cut in 1 inch chunks
  • 2 lbs boneless pork loin roast, lean, all fat trimmed off
  • 4 lbs  boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 6 boneless pork chops, 1/2 inch thick
  • 3 large onions
  • 5 clove of garlic
  • 1 lb carrots cut up
  • 4 medium potatoes, cut in 1 inch cubes
  • Optional- bunch of celery
  • 2 tsp beef bouillon or 2 cups beef stock
  • 1 ½  cups V-8 juice
  • ⅓  cup Country Bob’s All Purpose Sauce
  • 2 cans (4.25 oz each) diced green chiles
  • 2 tbsp chopped jalapeño, or more to taste
  • 10 oz can diced tomatoes and green chilies (Ro*Tel Mild)
  • 1 (24 oz) can whole peeled tomatoes, mashed
  • 1 (10 oz) can enchilada sauce
  • 1 can of corn, drained
  • 1 can of black beans, drained
  • 1 16oz jar of salsa
  • 1 (4 oz) can chopped green chile peppers
  • 1/2 cup fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
  • 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon
  • 1 (1oz) packet Ranch Dressing powder

When you prepare the meals

• Crumbled tortilla chips
  • cream (sour or Mexican)
  • shredded cheese (cheddar or Mexican mix)
  • 1 can cream of mushroom or chicken soup
  • 1 8oz brick of cream cheese
  • rice

Pantry Items

• salt
  • ground black pepper
  • garlic powder
1 tbsp cumin
  • chili powder
  • ½ cup milk

The 5 recipes in this set are Crock Pot Beef Stew,  Salsa Verde Pork, Tortilla Soup, Ranch Pork Chops, and Southwest Chicken. Click here for the printable version of the recipes.

Crock Pot Beef Stew

• 1 large onion, diced
  • 1 ½ lb lean stew meat, cut in 1 inch chunks
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 tsp beef bouillon or 2 cups beef stock
  • 1 ½  cups V-8 juice
  • ⅓  cup Country Bob’s All Purpose Sauce
  • 3 clove of garlic
  • 4 medium potatoes, cut in 1 inch cubes
  • 1 lb carrots cut up
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
  • Optional- bunch of celery

Instructions
Add onion, meat, water, beef bouillon, V-8 juice, Country Bob’s sauce, and garlic clove into your freezer bag.

Write on the bag:

1. Dump contents of the freezer bag into your crock pot.
  2. Add 4 medium potatoes, cubed and 1 pound of chopped carrots.
  3. Cook on high 6-7 hours or low for 8-9 hours.

Salsa Verde Pork

2 lbs boneless pork loin roast, lean, all fat trimmed off
  • salt and pepper to taste
3/4 cup diced onion
  • 2 cans (4.25 oz each) diced green chiles
  • 2 tbsp chopped jalapeño, or more to taste
  • 10 oz can diced tomatoes and green chilies (Ro*Tel Mild)
  • 1/2 cup fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
1 tbsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste

Instructions:
Place all the ingredients in the freezer bag.

Write on the bag:

1. Dump contents of the freezer bag into your crock pot.
  2. Cook on  high  for 4-5 hours or low for 7- 8 hours.

Serve with rice

• 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • Crumbled tortilla chips
  • cream (sour or Mexican)
  • shredded cheese (cheddar or Mexican mix)

Instructions:
Place chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, green chiles, garlic, water, chicken bouillon, and spices into a freezer bag.

Write on the bag:

1. Dump contents of the freezer bag into your crock pot.
  2. Cover, and cook on high for 4 to 6 hours or low for 6 to 8 hours
  3. When it’s done remove chicken and shred with 2 forks. The smaller the better since you can’t really cut up your soup.
  4. Tip – once you remove the chicken place the chunky stuff into a blender and blend until smooth. My kids don’t like chunks but they loved this soup!
  5. To serve, mix in some cream, cheese and tortilla chips.

This was a huge hit in our house. My son even asked for it the next day and he’s only 4 years old!

Ranch Pork Chops

• 1 (1oz) packet Ranch Dressing powder
  • 6 boneless pork chops, 1/2 inch thick
  • 1 can cream of mushroom or chicken soup
  • ½ cup milk

Instructions
Add the pork chops and ranch dressing packet in a freezer bag.

Write on the bag:

1. Dump contents of the freezer bag into your crock pot. Add a can of cream of mushroom soup and ½ milk.
  2. Cover and cook on high for 4-6 hours or low 6-8 hours.

We love to eat this with mashed potatoes and broccoli. It’s important not to overcook them because it makes the best gravy!

Southwest Chicken

• 1 can of corn, drained
  • 1 can of black beans, drained
  • 1 16oz jar of salsa
  • 3-4 chicken breasts (about 2 pounds)
  • 1 8oz brick of cream cheese

Instructions:
Add the corn, black beans, salsa, and chicken to the ziploc bag.

Write on the bag:

1. Dump ingredients into the crock pot. Cook on high for 6-7 hours and low for 7-8 hours.
  2. About 30 minutes before the meal is going to be served remove and shred the chicken.
  3. Cut up the cream cheese into chunks and add to the crock pot with the chicken.

Serve over rice. We also added some shredded cheese on top and it was delicious!
If you are not a fan of black beans you can omit them or just add half the can. I don’t really like them but they were good in this recipe.

Additional notes:

• Crock Pots can cook differently so make sure you have the proper cooking time. I use a 6.5 quart crock pot.
  • According to the official Crock Pot website, you can safely cook frozen meat in your crock pot. If you still don’t like the idea, you can put the bag in the fridge the night before and it should be defrosted by the morning.
  • If you use chicken breast from the large bag of frozen chicken please not that this type of chicken has a layer of ice which melts and can dilute the flavor of your meal. You will not have this problem with fresh chicken.
  • If your slow cooker has a hard to remove layer of gunk on it, try soaking it with a half a sheet of fabric softener. It will wipe right off!
  • Never put the plastic bag in the crock pot. Always dump out the contents to prepare your meal.
  • When you freeze the bag, make sure the frozen lump (for lack of a better work) will easily fit into your crock pot.
  • One reader suggested putting the dinners into crock pot liners and then into the freezer bag.

Has this helped you? If you have any recipes you would like me to test, please send them to me at  savingyoudinero@gmail.com.

You can also check out my Batch Cook Day!

Michelle January 5, 2013 at 6:25 am

What is Country Bob’s All purpose sauce? Is there a substitute?

Janell January 5, 2013 at 7:01 am

It’s kinda like an A-1 Sauce. Here’s where you can find it. http://www.countrybobs.com/ustorelocator/location/map/

LaShel January 5, 2013 at 9:43 am

I am not seeing the printable version like on the 3 other meal plans that you have. Could and would you please add that?! I love to put meals in the freezer so that my family knows what we have available for meals! Thanks for all the recipes!!!

Janell January 5, 2013 at 9:53 am

Hi – Thanks for the comment. They were towards the bottom near the additional notes. I have added the links to the top of the post. I also need to update them so there is just a shopping list and a recipe list. I will work on that tonight if I get a chance. I hope you enjoy them!

Jessi H January 6, 2013 at 12:58 am

I was wondering about how much each of these 1 hour + 1 mess =5 meals costs you, on average. I can’t WAIT to try these out! I have a 5 month old son and with everything that entails, this will help tremendously! Thank you and big ((hugs)) Janell!

Carol January 10, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Dear Janell

I just want to say thanks for these great Ideas. I doing a shopping list as we speak for all four. I’ve only come across a couple of this i can’t find or not heard of. Not surprising as i’m in England. Could you advise me please what is meant by Italian dressing, ranch dressing mix. and is country bob sauce a bbq sauce.

thanks a lot

Janell January 11, 2013 at 8:30 pm

Thanks for your comment. I have spent many years living outside of the US so I know what it is like to not know some of the products. Italian dressing is the dressing you would put on a salad. The Ranch dressing packet is also for your salad but it comes in a small package and you prepare it at your house. You could prpbably also use already prepared Ranch dressing – but you would have to adjust the recipe a little. The Country Bob sauce is like a steak sauce. It’s not very popular in the US – we can only find it at Walmart. I hope this helps.

Janell January 11, 2013 at 8:34 pm

That is an excellent question! I have never really priced them. I think they are pretty economical because most of the items are stuff that many people have in their house. The most expensive part is the meat. If you ever price them out please let me know! Maybe one of these days I will do that too 🙂

Rachel Travers January 12, 2013 at 4:20 pm

These crock-pot recipes are the absolute best! I’ve been so busy with work lately and in turn that has caused us to order out or go out to eat more than we should. Having these made ahead and just throw & go each morning, have made life so much easier. They are all fantastic, my favorites have been the Carolina Pulled pork and the Beef Burrito’s. Please keep posting more, I look forward to trying more of the recipes soon! I just wanted to say THANK YOU!!

Janell January 12, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Thanks so much for your comment. It’s so nice to know I am helping people! You are welcome 🙂

shannon January 14, 2013 at 7:23 am

I really need to get better organized at doing freezer meals. I work 40 hours a week and blog so this would be perfect.

carol January 14, 2013 at 10:06 am

hi janell
thanks for coming back to me. the only other item im having trouble with is the chipotle peppers. i can only get it in a paste or use tabasco sauce. would you say 1 teaspoon would be enough.
x

Janell January 14, 2013 at 7:59 pm

You could try it. It tastes good without the chipotle. But it’s even better with it 🙂

Susan January 17, 2013 at 10:03 am

Hi Janell!

THANK YOU so much for these amazing recipes! When I go to print Part 4, only the shopping list comes up. I’d really love to be able to print out the recipes as well. Am I doing something incorrectly?

Iris January 17, 2013 at 10:16 am

What protein would be best to substitute for pork/pork chops? Thanks!

Janell January 17, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Maybe you could use chicken instead? Sorry I am not very helpful – but please let me know if you try something and it works.

Janell January 17, 2013 at 9:47 pm

Hi – Im so glad you like the recipes. I did it different this time and there is a 2nd link that has just the recipes. I may go back and combine the documents. Thanks for the comment. Here’s the link to the recipes – https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HtgCY8e50nI-f4oJSgf2aySAG6DsVfzhG3zkm1rSlG8/edit

Iris February 10, 2013 at 3:15 pm

I made your Teriyaki Pork Chops with Stew Beef instead (2 lbs.) and it was delicious! It was so good that when I make it again, I’m doubling the recipe. Thank you for these wonderful recipes, they are a lifesaver for me!!

PatR February 13, 2013 at 10:22 am

I live 800 miles from my college son and my oldest son/wife/new grandson. We make several trips back to see everyone and usually spend one day making up several meals for all of them. Nothing like Mom’s cooking. The college son is not a cook and is tired of fast food. I’ve been introducing him to the crock pot. My plan when I go back the 1st of March is to bring a whole ice chest full of these meals. He (they, cause I’m making them for the oldest too) will be in hog heaven. Thanks for helping this long distance mom take care of her boys.

Janell February 14, 2013 at 8:02 am

Thanks so much for your sweet comment! I am so glad they are helping you to provide home cooked meals for your kids that live far away. These meals are definitely healthier than fast food – and cheaper.

Liz February 24, 2013 at 2:49 pm

We did week 3 for right around $60. We had some stuff already like the seasonings, lemon juice, ketchup, stuff everybody has.

Janell February 24, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Awesome! That’s another thing I love about these recipes is that you don’t have to go out and buy too many ingredients. Thanks for your comment.

Corey March 24, 2013 at 2:07 pm

I just tried this and I can price you 1st set of 5 around $100. Some may spend a little less, I had to pick up some of the essentials. Thank you for this! You make working moms lives so much easier!!!

Janell March 24, 2013 at 4:04 pm

Thanks so much for your comment. Hopefully it will be a little cheaper the next time you prep the meals 🙂

Susan H April 14, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Can you add a pinterest link?

Janell April 14, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Sure I will add it. Here’s the Pinterest link http://pinterest.com/pin/9288742953894655/
I should have a 5th set of recipes posted this week. Thanks for stopping by my blog! Here’s a link to my email newsletter – if you subscribe you will know when the next set of recipes are available – http://feeds.feedburner.com/SavingYouDinero

Janell May 5, 2013 at 10:58 am

That’s a great idea – sounds good! Thanks for sharing and commenting 🙂

Jennifer P October 4, 2013 at 8:42 am

This may sound silly…but do you thaw the contents in the bag before you put in the crockpot or just dump it in that day? 🙂

Janell October 4, 2013 at 8:46 am

It’s not a silly question 🙂 You do not have to thaw it out. You can just dump it in. If you do thaw it just cook it for about 30-45 minutes less. Enjoy!

Comments on this entry are closed.

{ 8 trackbacks }