I love chicken enchiladas. I have never quite figure out the best recipe to copy my Mexican friends. I just think you enjoy things more when you don’t have to prepare it yourself!
I was running out of time to figure out what we had to make for dinner. The chicken was frozen and it was after 1pm. The only hope was to use my crock pot. So when I saw the green salsa in my pantry and remembered I had just bought tortillas, I knew this was dinner!
I was very happy with it. My little kids thought it was a little spicy. So when I shredded my chicken I took some of the chicken that didn’t have salsa on it and just made them chicken tacos – easy fix!
This recipes isn’t just a slow cooker recipe. There is a little more work to it after the chicken is cooked. You are using your slow cooker to cook the meat and then you shred it and bake it.
Sow Cooker Chicken Enchiladas
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups green salsa (I just used a jar version found with the Mexican Food)
- 10 tortillas (corn are more authentic but you can use flour)
- oil for frying
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup Mexican cheese mix
- Cook the chicken with the green salsa for 3 hours on high or 6 hours on low.
- Once the chicken is cooked, shred it but don’t add it back to the slow cooker.
- Preheat the oven to 350*. Pour a little bit of the green salsa on the bottom of a 9×13 pan.
- In a small frying pan add just a bit of oil to coat the pan. Place some of the shredded chicken inside the tortilla and roll it. Place the seam side down and cook for about a minute and turn it. Cook the other side and then add to the pan. Repeat with all 10 tortillas. (You want to make them just a little crispy.)
- Cover with the sour cream and then with the cheese. Top with a little more green salsa and bake for 20 minutes or until heated and bubbly.
- Serve with a little more salsa and enjoy!
This actually sounds a little more difficult that it is. It really didn’t take a whole lot of time and they were delicious! Try it today and let me know what you think!
Would you like more slow cooker meals? Here are 40 slow cooker freezer meals! Just prepare them and freeze them. Then you have dinner ready to cook! It is such a huge time saver! You can also try my my Chicken Parmesan recipe that was featured in All You Magazine!