My son recently tried sweet and sour sauce at McDonalds and he really liked it. So I found a recipe that I though he would enjoy at home. I love to recreate recipes at home. I know they are healthier for my kids and they are always cheaper.
The other night we were going to have an early dinner so I thought it was a good time to test out a Sweet & Sour Chicken recipe. I really liked how you aren’t deep frying the chicken. Plus I have never coated my chicken in corn starch. It was really good. It was heavy at all. I know it’s not completely healthy – but we are getting there. I am going to keep playing with the ingredients.
Sweet & Sour Chicken
- 1 pound chicken breasts cut into small pieces
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- ¾ cup corn starch
- 1 egg
- oil to brown the chicken
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ⅓ cup white vinegar
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ tablespoon soy sauce
- First mix together the ingredients to make the sauce and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. For easier clean up, line a baking sheet with tin foil.
- Mix together the chicken, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and corn starch together in a bowl.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg. Then add the chicken to the egg mixture and make sure to coat all the chicken.
- Pour just enough oil in a pan to coat it. Add chicken pieces and just brown over medium heat. (They don’t need to cook completely because you are going to bake them in the oven. Add the browned chicken to the baking pan. I actually used an 8×8 pan – but use the best size you have.
- Pour all the sauce over the chicken.Bake it for about 6 minutes. Mix the chicken and sauce around and bake again for about 5 minutes. If you want it to be a little stickier, you can put it on broil for a few minutes.
- Serve over rice and enjoy!!
It really didn’t take that long to make this dinner – maybe 40 minutes from start to finish. The biggest pain for me is cutting up the chicken. I think that I may use the breading and try to make orange chicken.