Disclosure – I was hosted by some of the places listed below but I will always share my honest opinion about our experience.
The past few days we were on a family vacation in Chicago. Chicago is a very cool city with lots of delicious food and fun attractions.
ChooseChicago.com is a great resource to help you plan your stay. It will keep you up to date about events in the city and it also has a long list of places to eat and visit.
Click here for some suggested itineraries. It has great suggestions for families, first-time visitors, romantic visits and more.
Here is an overview of all the places we visited.
Where we stayed:
- Hyatt Regency Chicago – great location, spacious rooms, comfortable beds and more. You may think a Hyatt is just for business people but it is not – it’s a fabulous place to stay with your family. We would stay here again. Tip – don’t park at the hotel. There is parking garage right behind the hotel that is a lot cheaper than the hotel parking. It was $51 total for 3 nights vs $67 per day in the Hyatt’s Parking garage. Check out the app or website ParkWhiz. It will help you find the best parking in the city and it’s so much cheaper when you book it in advance. You can also cancel until the minute before your reservation. This referral link will give you $5 off your first parking reservation.
Where we ate:
- SafeHouse (Food and a fun spy experience) So cool! You will definitely want to do this during your visit.
- Lou Malnati’s Deep Dish Pizza – delicious! It was on our food tour so we didn’t get enough to eat.
- Portillo’s Chicago-Style Hot Dog – Must visit!
- Al’s Italian Beef Sandwich – You gotta try this in Chicago
- Garrett Popcorn – Buy a bag and snack on it during your vacation.
- Copper Fox for a Nutella Brownie
- Giordanos Pizza – Also a really good pizza but I preferred Lou’s a little more. I think it was the crust.
- Yolk Restaurant for Breakfast – A little expensive and nothing really unique. But the service was fast.
- Nutella Cafe – Not very impressed. I can pretty much make anything in this cafe at home for a fraction of the price.
- Stans Doughnuts – Not very impressed. A little on the expensive side and the coffee wasn’t very good.
- SafeHouse This is a food and a fun spy experience!
- Best is Chow Food Tour (You eat the best food and get the history of the food and of the city)
- SkyDeck – really cool views of the city.
- Chicago White Sox Game – Very cool ball park for the whole family. You must see a game if they are in town.
- Navy Pier – It’s a Chicago Landmark!
- Shakespeare’s Peter Pan at Navy Pier – Really fun experience for the whole family. I dont think there is a bad seat in this theater!
- Walking up and down the Magnificent Mile – If you need anything on your trip you will find it here. We had to buy a pair of sneakers at Marshall’s for our daughter.
- The Bean