It’s Flash Back Friday – Recipe Edition! This is the perfect treat to eat during family movie night!
We love caramel popcorn but it is pretty gross when you buy the bag of microwave popcorn. So I found this caramel popcorn recipe. It is pretty easy and I am sure you have the ingredients in your house. Plus you don’t need a thermometer to check the temperature – the oven gives it it’s perfect taste!
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup butter or margarine (1 stick)
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 (3-oz) packages plain, microwave popcorn, popped (16 cups)
- Preheat oven to 250* and grease 2 9×13 pans or a large roasting pan.
- Pop both bags of popcorn and add them to your baking pans. Take out any unpopped kernels.
- Stir together first 5 ingredients in a saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often. Let it bubble for about a minute.
- Remove mixture from heat and stir in baking soda.
- Pour sugar mixture evenly over popcorn; stir well with a lightly greased spatula.
- Bake at 250 for 1 hour stirring every 15 minutes, with your spatula making sure your get the mixture off the bottom of the pan.
- Spread on wax paper to cool, breaking apart large clumps as mixture cools.
- Store in airtight containers. You family will finish this before it can go bad 🙂
*Tip – Use your ½ cup measuring cup to measure the sugar then the corn syrup – it’s 1 less thing to wash!*
Also if your popcorn looks done before the hour is up – it could be. Some ovens cook hotter than others. You don’t want to burn the caramel.