Since it is cold I have really wanted soup. But I didn’t want any boring old chicken soup. I wanted something with a lot of taste. So I found some recipes and took some ingredients and threw this soup together. It’s very “hearty” and super healthy.
My whole family loved it! My 5 year old son had 2 bowls and asked if he could have more the next day. The secret to get the kids to eat it is to put the onions, peppers, and garlic cloves in the blender so there aren’t chunks in the soup.
Italian Chicken Soup
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 red pepper
- 5 garlic cloves
- Celery – about 1 cup diced
- 2 large potatoes, diced (You can omit this if you would like to)
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 9 cups of water
- 3 Tablespoons chicken boullion
- 1-½ cup Ditalini pasta (it’s short, stubby pasta)
- In a blender add 1 cup of water and the onion, red pepper, and garlic cloves. Make sure there aren’t very many chunks (unless you like it chunky). Add it to a very large crock pot. (Tip – no need to dice up the onion, peppers, and garlic before you put them in the blender. Just chop them up a little and let your blender do the work!)
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except the pasta) to the crock pot.
- Cook on high for 4-5 hour or low for 6-7 hours.
- About 45 minutes before you serve it, take out the chicken and shred it into pieces. Add the Ditalini pasta.
Serve and enjoy! We also added a little bit of Parmesan cheese.
*You can also make this on your stove top. I would simmer it for about an hour to make sure the potatoes and celery are soft. You can make the pasta and add it to the rest of the soup before you serve it.
This will make a lot of soup. Between all the veggies, chicken, and pasta you will be full! I am sure it will taste even better the next day.
**Tip – you will need a very large crock pot for this recipe because once you add the pasta it will fill up the crock pot. You could make the pasta separate and add it to a large bowl to serve.
Do you have a favorite soup recipe? Please share them with me. My kids love soup and it’s easy to throw into the crock pot!
Make sure you follow our Pinterest board so you don’t miss any great recipes! You can also check out my blog for so many more crock pot recipes! Make sure to check out my 30 Crock Pot Freezer Meals – this will save you a ton of time and money in the kitchen!
Do you have a great recipe you would like me to feature? Fill out this form and I will check out your recipe!