This Easter Dessert Cake Recipe for Peeps Tres Leche Cake using your favorite Peeps will be a beautiful centerpiece at any Easter Brunch or Dinner.
With Easter just around the corner, I wanted to share with you a fun dessert that is made with the popular Peeps marshmallow bunnies and Peeps Marshmallow Coffee Creamer.
First, let me say that if you don’t like Peeps you will still love this cake. The creamer tastes like marshmallows and you don’t have to eat the Peeps with the cake – but it does make a very pretty decoration.
And if you are checking out this recipe and you can no longer find Peeps cream, you can always substitute sweet cream coffee creamer in the recipe.
If you have never had Tres Leche Cake – you are missing out! It’s so flavorful and moist. The reason it’s called Tres Leche Cake (3 kinds of milk) is because it combines sweetened condensed milk, heavy whipping cream, and evaporated milk. But this recipe switches out the evaporated milk for Peeps Coffee Creamer.
You will have extra tres leche milk that you will not use in the cake. Store it in the fridge for a delicious creamer for your coffee!
It may look like there are a lot of steps to this cake but it’s not very difficult. You are making the cake and icing from scratch – so it’s even more delicious!
Peeps Tres Leche Cake
- 5 Eggs, divided
- 1 cup Sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup Milk
- 1 cup All-purpose Flour
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
Tres Leche Mixture
- 1 ¼ cup PEEPS Creamer (Or Sweet Cream Creamer)
- 1 (14 oz.) can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- ¼ cup Heavy Cream
- 2 ½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 4 Tablespoons Sugar
- 3 Packages of Peeps Bunnies (12 per pack)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 9 inch baking pans with parchment paper and set aside. You do not want these to stick to the pans.
- Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites in 2 separate bowls. Set the egg whites aside.
- Using a mixer, beat all 5 egg yolks with 3/4 cup sugar on high speed until yolks are pale yellow.
- Then stir in the milk and vanilla extract.
- In another bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Pour the dry ingredients over the egg yolk mixture and stir very gently until combined.
- In another bowl, beat the five egg whites on high speed until it forms soft peaks form. Add the remaining sugar (¼ cup) and beat until egg whites are stiff.
- Fold the egg white mixture into the other mixture until it is just combined – don’t overmix.
- Pour the mixture into the round cake pans. Tap the batter on the counter so that it spreads out evenly.
- Bake the cake for about 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool completely. Flip one of the cakes onto a rimmed cake plate. (It needs to have a rim, so the milk doesn’t spill over.)
- Make the Milk Mixture: Combine the Peeps coffee creamer, sweetened condensed milk, and ¼ cup heavy whipping cream in a large measuring cup and set aside.
- Poke the cake with a fork or knife several times to make holes in the cake so that the milk mixture can be absorbed.
- Using a mixer, whip 2 ½ cups of heavy whipping cream with 4 tablespoons of sugar. You need to whip it until it looks like whipped cream.
Assembling the cake:
- Pour some of the milk mixture over the bottom layer of the cake. It will run over the sides but wait a few minutes for it to absorb into the cake. (I use about 1 cup of the milk mixture for the bottom layer but you can use more or less to fit your taste.)
- After the first layer of the cake has absorbed the milk, spread some of the whipped topping on top of the first cake.
- Place the second cake on top and poke it with holes. Pour 1 cup of the milk mixture on top of the second layer of the cake. (Please note, you will have about a cup of the mixture left over. It’s better to have too much instead of too little of this delicious milk mixture. )
- After the second layer of cake has absorbed all the milk you can finish icing the cake.
- Add Peeps bunnies around the sides of the cake and on top. Let it chill for about 2 hours before you serve it. Keep refrigerated.
This is such a pretty cake! And it’s a unique dessert. It’s the best way to use Peeps! They look so pretty on the cake.
More Easter Dessert Ideas:
- Cadbury Filled Chocolate Cupcakes With Chocolate Buttercream Icing
- White Cake With A Brownie Layer with Chocolate Buttercream Icing
- Jelly Bean Cupcakes With Vanilla Buttercream Icing
- Jelly Bean Cookies
- Starburst® Jellybean Doughnuts
- Frosted Treats With M&M’s® Carrot Cake
- Carrot Cupcakes With Cream Cheese Icing For Easter
- Easter Cake: White Cake With A Brownie Layer & Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 18 Sweet Treats for Easter