Pico De Gallo Chicken is an easy go-to dinner that takes less than 30 minutes to put together and is made from so many healthy ingredients. You will be shocked when your kids ask for seconds!
This dinner really came together because I had taken the chicken out for dinner. Many times I have a meal plan and have lots of ingredients in my home but whatever I was supposed to make for dinner – wasn’t an option.
I think I was really into a pico de gallo phase so I had a red onion, tomatoes, and limes in the fridge. So I thew it all together and had a delicious and filling meal!
This was a meal that my kids loved and it has so many healthy ingredients!
Pico de Gallo Chicken is so simple….
Add some coconut oil to the pan and brown and cook the chicken until it is no longer pink inside.
Remove the chicken and set it aside.
Sautee the tomatoes, onions, and garlic.
Add the chicken broth and lime juice and mix it up.
Add the chicken back and serve and enjoy!
We love it over some cauliflower rice or yellow rice and topped with lots of diced avocados. My kids eat 2 plates of this and it’s full of tomatoes and avocados!
If you are using yellow rice, it takes the longest to prepare so get it started while you dice up the onions, garlic, and tomatoes. This is another awesome meal that will save you from skipping dinner or running through the drive-thru for dinner.
- 2 pounds of boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1-2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3 roma tomatoes diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 cup chicken broth (or 1 cup water + 1 tsp chicken bouillon)
- a small handful of cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Juice of 1 lime + Extra for the final meal
- In a large skillet (I used a cast-iron skillet) melt the coconut oil. Add chicken and brown on both sides. (it doesn't need to be fully cooked.)
- Remove the chicken and set it aside.
- Add the tomatoes and red onions and sautee for a few minutes. Then add the garlic making sure it doesn't burn.
- Add the chicken broth and lime juice and stir to combine.
- Add the chicken breasts back to the pan and let simmer. Your meal is done when your chicken is cooked all the way through.
- Serve over cauliflower rice or yellow rice and add cubed avocados if desired.
That’s it! It’s very easy to make. I was so happy that we all loved it. A few weeks ago I had a meal similar to this at a restaurant. It had shrimp instead of chicken but that meal inspired this recipe.
You can also make a similar meal with salmon and it is just as delicious!
Usually, my “creations” aren’t that great, but we were very happy with this dinner. Even the kids loved it! It was quick, easy, and healthy! It took about 30 minutes to make the whole meal.