Most of you know that I homeschool my boys. They are in 3rd grade and Kindergarten. A few days ago we were learning about the war and how there was a Great Depression. I was trying to explain to my son that during that time people didn’t have a lot of food – it was rationed.
I think that is something that is very hard for a 5 year old to image since our fridge and pantry are usually pretty full. I had remembered reading about how there was a cake that our grandparents probably made because it didn’t contain eggs or milk. These were items that were scarce during that time.
We decided to make this cake – even though the ingredients sounded weird. It has vinegar in it! The person that invented it was a genius to be able to create a recipe that actually tasted like a cake with the little ingredients they had in the house.
I live at almost 8,000 feet, so many times my cakes sink or are as dense as a rock. But this recipe was awesome. It didn’t sink and it was moist and tasted great! You can use any frosting recipe on the cake or just sprinkle some powered sugar on it.
This is a great recipe if you can’t have eggs or milk. Or if you really want a chocolate cake and you don’t have eggs.
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon. baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon. white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon. pure vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup oil
- 1 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350*. Lightly grease an 8×8 pan.
- In a bowl mix together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- Create 3 dips in the dry mixture. Make 2 small and one large indent. In 1 small indent put the vinegar, in the other small indent add the vanilla, and in the large hole add the oil. (You don’t want those liquids to touch yet.)
- Pour the water all over the mixture and mix well. Pour into the 8×8 pan and bake for about 30-35 minutes. It is done when you stick a toothpick in and it comes out clean.
That’s it! It is super easy and uses very little ingredients. I know these are ingredients I always have in my house. If you want to make a 9×13 cake you can just double the recipe.
Here is the chocolate icing I used. Im sorry it is not dairy free – but it is good!
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ – ¾ cups powdered sugar
In a microwave safe bowl add the chips, butter, and milk. Microwave for about 30 seconds. Whisk it to make it smooth. (You can add it back for 10 second intervals if it is not smooth.)
Add powered sugar and mix well. Frost your cake while the icing is still warm so it’s easier to spread – but make sure your cake is cooled so the icing doesn’t fall off 🙂
If you have a dairy free icing recipe please share it!